There is a phrase which says, “Charity begins at home.” Several people have come up with different meanings, but there is one which we will be sharing here. You might be thinking that what does it has anything to do with roofing? Well let’s explain about how it is related. The phrase here means that the, it is you who needs to act first to take care and maintain your roof, before calling the professionals. It is your responsibility to do all the roof cleaning and maintenance tasks, which can extend its life few more years by following the instructions initially issued by the professionals at the time of construction. Here is the list of things which you can perform to maintain the roof and keep it away from damages.
- Cleaning: Cleaning the roof on regular basis will help you in maintaining the quality of the roof. This can certainly help you in avoiding any extra cost on roofing or repairs before the time. The most basic reason to clean your roof is to restore the looks as well as appearance of not only the roof but also the house. Apart from this it helps in avoiding the infestation of moulds, algae, fungi on the roof, which will eventually harm the entire structure. So clean the place regularly and enjoy the damage free home.
- Inspection: A professional inspection after every 6 months is a must to keep a track on the damages on the roof. Especially after heavy storms or extreme weather conditions, as they are the main reason for damages to the roof. Inspection will help you in early detection of the damages on the roof, so that you can take an action and can get the roofing done if necessary. Don’t forget this appointment it is necessary.
- Remove debris: Don’t let the leaves, dirt, dust, pine leaves or other kind of debris lying on the roof because they will support the growth of moulds and mildew on the roof which will damage the internal walls as well as shingles in the roof. Cleaning it every day is not necessary but cleaning it in every few months is must to avoid any repairs or roofing for a longer duration of time. By removing this waste you are decreasing the chances of damages and increasing the outer appearance of your home.
- Gutters: Don’t forget to clean the gutters because clogged gutters can lead to back up of the water which will eventually move towards the other parts of the roof materials. By keeping it clean and get it repaired so that they can do what they are made for. And help the water move in the proper manner and in the right direction. If the gutters are clean then the water from rain will not get clogged but will move through pipes.
- Snow Removal: If you live in an area where there is heavy snow fall in the winters then it is better to keep a track on snow removal from the roof or else it will pile up there on the roof. It is a fact that the snow is quite heavy and with all this excess weight the roof is bound to get damaged. So don’t take chances on this, although the option of roofing is always there but if you can avoid it then it is much better.
All these pointers are something which everyone knows but tends to ignore and later on regret on their decision when the damage spread to the other parts of the structure as well.